Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Scarlett: 3 years old

Oh man it has been one heckuva birthday week for my 3 (!!) year old Scarlett. We celebrated her actual birth day with a trip to Costco (her favourite place to do errands), birthday crepes, and opening presents. A few days later we had a princess party with a few of her friends, and a two days after that we had granny and grampy, aunts and uncles over to end with a bbq.

sporting her new helmet and umbrella which were attached to her for the next 24 hrs

working on her birthday puzzle with Mia
birthday crepes
so excited about her new play dresses


B loved big sister's present





 

we had so much fun with these girls

making Olaf out of marshmallows


Birthday Interview

Name: Scarlett Elizabeth
How old are you: three
Favourite food: chicken and rice
Favourite movie: Moana
Favourite Disney princess: Pocahontas
Favourite song: Shake it Off
Favourite book: Sofia the First
Favourite thing to do: play dollies
What do you want to be when you grow up: an elephant  ...
What's your favourite thing about being 3: being four...

Scarlett doesn't even tip the scale. She is 22.2lbs and 33 inches. So petite that she has had a panel of bloodwork and tests to make sure that she really is just a tiny girl.

But man, this tiny girl has a personality that is a force to be reckoned with. She wears the sassiest, bossiest pants, of anyone I've ever met, and she expects you to listen and obey her wishes instantly. If you hesitate or try and brush her off with a "maybe later" or "not now", she will incessantly repeat her command over and over and over again, in case you might not have heard her the first time. Her other strategy is to sweetly give you directions on how to fulfill her demands in case your hesitation is from a lack of comprehension "Okay mum stand up. Hold my hand. Follow me to my room. See? It's not hard."

Her sass is often repeating back to me things I say to her. I say "come here", she says "oh my goodness, you are soooo bossy." I say "bring your dishes", she growls at me "use your manners!". Or I ask her to wear a coat because it's chilly, she huffs and sighs and says "It will be fine, mom."

She has many strong opinions about how things should be. Which dolls say what to each other, that her plate and cup match, and which clothes she wears. I could write a whole post about the daily saga that is her wardrobe-changes, malfunctions....you name it. She will put on a shirt, declare it "too lumpy", and promptly remove it. Going through several equally unsatisfactory shirts, until she decides to wear the first "lumpy" shirt all along. She is obsessed with bathing suits, and for a time absolutely refused to wear pajamas, only underwear to bed. Now she believes in pajamas as occasional bedtime attire, but often it's paired with a bathing suit top. No item of clothing is blacklisted when it comes to bedtime attire...except perhaps pajamas. Dresses and skirts should be worn every day, and sometimes together, in her opinion. Jackets are completely unnecessary, and no outfit is complete without gum boots, or unicorn flip flops.
Her opinion that 16 degrees and overcast is warm enough to play at the spray park, no matter how much I tried to convince her otherwise

People actually think she is really timid and quiet. It can take her a very long time to warm up to people. She has been in nursery for a year and a half with the same teachers, and one told me a few months ago that she actually heard her speak for the first time. She is so chatty at home, it kinda stuns me when people say "I didn't know she could talk!", or "that's the most I've heard her say!". She also has the funniest words for things. She calls a swimsuit a "baby suit", tongs for the kitchen are "claps", while toy forceps from the dr's kit are "clips", the Hulk is "the green funk", a puddle is a "muddle"...the list goes on!

Not only does she chat, but she sings. She absolutely loves singing, especially if she is singing Disney and spinning at the same time...with her eyes closed. That is her specialty. But she does a fair bit of musical improvisation as well, which is my personal favourite. She can make up a song about the most mundane things, and turn it into something hilarious.

And speaking of hilarious. This girl makes us laugh all the time. One day I put her on the toilet before bed (which she wasn't happy about), and as soon as I sat her down on the seat she grumpily yells at me "Gracias!". Then a few months ago when we were driving home from BC, we needed to take a detour to avoid an accident, so we set up the google maps to give us directions. After the voice gave its first instruction, Scarlett pipes up from the backseat "Ok Google! Thank you Google!" She is really does say the darndest things, and is full of little gems.

But don't let that fool anyone-she has a mischievous streak a mile wide. I'm actually glad I didn't get the post done last week, because yestertoday she really pulled a doozy on us that I want to remind her of when her children get into trouble. I was cooking dinner, and Mia was downstairs, B was in the kitchen with me, and Scarlett was somewhere...I assumed in her room. Mia comes running frantically up the stairs and tells me it's raining from the ceiling. So I drop everything and run downstairs. Sure enough water is dripping from the laundry room ceiling. We race back upstairs to try and find the source, only to find Scarlett has decided that her toy dolphin needs a swim in the bathroom sink, tap on. I hadn't heard the water running because I had the hood fan going in the kitchen. The sink had literally overflowed all over the bathroom and into the vanity. There was a sopping wet hand towel in the corner, which she tried to dry up the water with "but it wasn't working". Meanwhile dinner is burning on the stove while I'm trying to deal with emptying the vanity and assessing the damage.

There are about 5 photos taken one after another, and in each one she is inching closer toward the bunny until she steps on it

She is the only kid who will still nap fairly consistently, but only if she initiates it.

Usually her purposeful mischief making is accompanied by an obnxious evil laugh. When we took her and Mia to see the new Aladdin in theaters, there is a scene where a guy gets pushed down a well. It's wasn't a comedic scene so no one was laughing, but she started bursting a gut with her evil laugh for a solid 10 seconds. Then people were laughing.

She is pretty conservative with her sense of adventure. Really she is a scaredy cat. But when it comes to food she is super adventurous. She is my best eater by far, and will try pretty much anything.

She loves all things girly- princesses, dress up, barbies...and makeup. I have found her with a mascara unibrow on several occasions, sometimes complete with eyeliner stripes on her cheeks. One time she got into my tinted moisturizer and smeared it all over the bottom half of her face like a mask. When I tried to clean it off, she started screaming "DON'T WIPE IT OFF! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!"


As much as she loves dolls and dress up, they have stiff competition against the random car and hot wheel collection. One of her favourite pastimes is taking out the car bin and lining each one up perfectly, making sure they drive over certain spots in the carpet on their way. Then they all drive back. She plays with cars way more than any of our other kids ever did. She also names the cars things like "mommy car", "sister car", "brother car" etc. So many inanimate objects or toys around this house are assigned a family member designation by her.

She also has a creative artistic side that knows how to properly hold a pencil, can draw circles, and loves to paint with watercolours.

Scarlett is very clever. She can tell you how to spell her name and count to 20. She can easily  remember and recite stories and song lyrics. She often says things that we think are silly, or that she's mistaken, but then proves to us that she legit knew what she was talking about. I was asking her about her nursery teachers and she didn't know the name of one, so I asked her to describe her to me. I know who they all are, so I was curious how she was going to do this. She said "she is kinda purple". Me "she's purple?". "Well, she has a purple sweater." And she does wear a purple sweater pretty much every week. So many times she has said to me "I told you so...." or "I told you that...". There are way too many know it alls in this family.

She is my most snuggly girl, and loves cuddles on my lap, or wants me to lay down in her bed with her. Her and Mia are close friends, and despite the occasional power struggle, Scarlett tells me Mia is her "BFF". We are so blessed to have this little munchkin in our lives, and I can't wait to see all the things she's going to learn and do!









No comments:

Post a Comment