She got to celebrate 3 times. We had a unicorn party for her friends, complete with a unicorn ice cream cake. I was not about to repeat the cake disaster of last year (cake falling apart, me "gluing" it back together with icing, and throwing some play jewellery on to disguise it all), and this cake did not disappoint. We went to the library for her birthday afternoon and Red Robin for her birthday dinner. Then we had a big waffle birthday breakfast with family on the weekend. It was pretty much a week long birthday bash for this girl.


5 year old interview
Full name: Mia Nish (What's your middle name?) Mia "Son of God" Nish?
How old are you? 5
Who is your best friend? Anastasia
Favourite food: white macaroni and cheese (aka homemade)
Favourite movie: The Little Mermaid
Favourite Disney princess: Ariel
Favourite book: The Princess in Black
Favourite thing to do: play Go Fish
What do you want to be when you grow up: A ballerina and a mother
She is a lover of all things girl-princesses, dress up, pink, dancing, unicorns, glitter and sparkles. She loves to play make believe with Scarlett, and whether it be a fashion show, a royal wedding, a trip to the grocery store with their dollies, or a joy ride in the barbie car, her imagination knows no bounds.
![]() |
| She set up a teddy bear picnic in her room |

She still makes her "focused face" (Isaac named it), when she is really intensely interested in or focused on something. It is something you have to witness to truly appreciate, but in addition to her "face" she also flaps her hands like a bird.
Her hair is absolutely impossible (and even moreso since her brother gave it a hack job last year). 5 minutes after you brush it, it looks like a complete disaster.
If you have seen the Princess Diaries movies, whose main character is nicknamed Mia (and where I got her name from), you will have a good picture of what Mia is like (minus the whole fear of public speaking). She is endearing, and clumsy (she spills something or falls off her chair almost daily), and quirky, and sometimes blissfully unaware of what is going on around her or what other people think of her. All parents think their kids are special, but she embodies the word "special" in a different way. She is simply Mia. I'm doing a poor job of putting it into words, but she has her own completely unique persona and way of seeing and interacting with the world that is just so her.

And because of this, we have some pretty funny conversations.
Driving in the van
M: Mum are we in Chiney?
Me: What's Chiney? You mean China?
M: Yeah, Chiney.
Me: No, why do you think we're in China?
M: Because I saw a peach.
Me: You saw a peach? (Me thinking where the heck did you see a peach on the Yellowhead?) Well we have peaches in Edmonton...
Before school
M: I want to wear my unicorn shirt. I hope Katherine wears her unicorn shirt.
Me (eating breakfast): Yep, okay. Just go get dressed please.
Get to school, and I notice her shirt is covered in what looks like snot and toothpaste.
Me: Why is your shirt so dirty?!
M: I don't know...
I realize this shirt was covered in icing not toothpaste, and that it was what she wore to decorate our gingerbread house with on the weekend (and obviously to wipe her nose with too). She had pulled it out of the dirty laundry hamper and put it on for school. Facepalm.
Mia doing a pushup in the hallway
M: Look Scarlett I'm doing a hiccup
Recounts the story of her first playschool kiss
M (adds at the end): It was NOT true love's first kiss!
At church, Mia is in her primary class, I'm in my class
Mia's teacher (opens the doors and calls out): Can Mia's mum come here please?
Me: What's wrong?
Teacher: Does Mia have allergies?
Me: Um... no, why?
Teacher: Well we're about to have a snack, and I asked her if she did and she said "yes"
Me: I'm pretty sure she doesn't know what allergies even are.
Teacher: Are you sure she doesn't have allergies?
Me: Well you can choose to believe me or my 4 yr old who probably thinks allergies are actually something really cool to have.
On her birthday
Me: Mia did you know Uncle Alan has the same birthday as you?
M: What?! Are you serious?! That is so crazy!! 3 second pause... Who's Uncle Alan?
Mia is unfailingly kind. She notices others needs and takes the initiative to help. So many times when one of us has been lying down on the couch, she will cover us with a blanket and plant a kiss on our cheeks. She will bring her brother's dirty dishes to the sink, or clean up Scarlett's mess of toys. She is probably my best cleaner when she puts her mind to it. She frequently says "I love you" and gives hugs.
She can throw a mighty tantrum, but she will always apologize after. She doesn't like people to be upset with her and likes to make amends.
She works hard at learning new things, and has a really great memory. She loves reading and usually falls asleep with several books scattered around her.
I am sure I am will think of a million more stories to tell after this is posted. She always keeps us laughing and is full of surprises.






No comments:
Post a Comment