Pages

Monday, January 23, 2017

Christmas 2016

I didn't think I could love Christmas more, until I had kids. They make everything about Christmas so magical (albeit a little more stressful). We really focused this year on doing a service every day in December, and Isaac though very hostile towards the idea at first, really embraced it after helping make and give treats to his preschool teachers. He would ask me almost every morning "mum what's our Christmas service today?", and even after Christmas talks about doing service in our home.

One of the most special memories was caroling for patients on the unit where I work as an RN. We were able to go with two other families, and sing for the patients and their families in the evening. The kids were understandably shy, but Isaac did join in during Jingle Bells towards the end. He still asks me to sing "Silent Night" before bed, which is one of the songs we sang. There were many full hearts (mine especially) and tears, as we shared some Christmas joy. I hope we can make it a yearly tradition.

  Our first tree in our new house!
Checking out the legislature lights

The kids and I went to Calgary a few days before Christmas, mercifully before the big snowfall it. I needed to escape the renos and cold weather, before losing my sanity. It was so nice the day after we arrived the kids were out jumping on granny and grampy's trampoline. Gordon arrived safely on Christmas eve, and we held our first ever family nativity. I guess now that the grandkids have equaled the number of children, we had enough people to make a comical attempt. There were some pretty flamboyant costumes, shepherds with stuffed sheep, scented candles replacing wise men gifts, and so much laughter.

With Christmas being on a Sunday this year, I wanted the kids to wait until after church to open their gifts. But I didn't want the magic of no presents under the tree when they woke up to be ruined. So we agreed to leave their stockings and one gift under the tree for the morning. I wrote them a poem from Santa saying that his sleigh had broken and he had to leave before he delivered the presents. He reminded us that Christmas was about the Saviour, and that he would be back when we were at church to deliver them all.





Like any preschoolers, the kids tore through those presents, of which there were far too many. Grampy started indoctrinating Isaac right away in the game of hockey with his new hockey set. Mia practiced up on her beautician skills with her hair dressing set. Scarlett tried in vain to eat the wrapping paper.

We left boxing day for Cranbrook, and thankfully there were no accidents to hold us up for 3 hours last like Christmas. Our time was spent sledding, cross country skiing, visiting friends and family, playing board games, lego building, and eating waaay to much junk food. The kids got to camp out in the tent as per tradition, but we made sure they were dressed warm. Just kidding. Don't call social services. They are indoor campers.

They also got to try skiing for the first time! Isaac was annoyed at having to be slowed down while he was going down the hill. After the first few times, he would throw up the hula hoop and speed down, colliding with the safety net at the bottom. He thought it was the best thing ever.
 
 
You could definitely tell we have 3 young kids by our New Year's Eve celebrations. We did fireworks at 8 so the kids could see them, and even Scarlett was mesmerized. No scaredy cats this year! The kids were off to bed by 9 (they ask me to go to bed any time past that), and Gordon and I held down the fort and cleaned the war zone our kids and too much partying had left. I unashamedly admit that we went to bed at 1030. Definitely parents of three under 4.

We traveled back to Calgary on the 2nd, and Gordon continued back home to work for the week. My baby sister was getting married that coming weekend, so the kids and I stayed back in Calgary to very meagerly help with wedding preparations. More sledding, domino playing, picture drawing, hockey practicing, wedding prepping, and unsupervised makeup sessions were involved.

Auntie Devon was Mia's hair model every night

The wedding day was a chilly -25. It was so special being able to be with my little sister on her special day. The best part was probably getting to sit down for a whole meal and eating it while it was warm! Perks of being a bridesmaid haha! It was a memorable way to finish off our Christmas holidays, but my children will grow up knowing that winter weddings are taboo anywhere in this country!
 

Eating with grampy!
Big sisters
Scarlett meeting Great Grandma and Papa for the first time. She loved jumping on Papa's lap!
Scarlett and Auntie Becky
Scarlett and Gigi




No comments:

Post a Comment