Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Harry Potter: my first love


Well the time has almost come for the end of my childhood. However, I loathe goodbyes so I keep telling myself that the last Harry Potter movie will complete my collection, and allow me to relive them again and again....it's been successful so far, but I doubt I'll be able to keep my tears at bay after tomorrow night. I've grown up with Harry, laughed with him, cried with him (most of the time at some obscene hour of the night, only to be told by mum to go to bed) and I have never loved a book (BOM excluded) as much.
I think my real sadness comes from empathy for the cast, because for them it really is the end. Maybe it tugs a little at the heartstrings because it reminds me of goodbyes to long time friends, like high school graduation, and soon to be my nursing graduation where I'll part ways with 19 of my favorite girls on this earth.
I'm not ashamed of my love of my Harry Potter (or nerdiness as Gordon calls it). It is a permanent part of who I am, just like a first love always will be. The books matured with me. They shared my fears, my triumphs, my struggles and they overcame them. Call it what you like, but to me they are not just books. They are a familiar friend, always waiting to be picked up when I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment