Our mighty mini Scarlett has been 6 years old for a week already. We celebrated last weekend with a birthday party at our house the day before her birthday. She had some friends from church and school, and we had the best weather for an outdoor water party! The kids had a water balloon fight, and played in the water, and stuffed their faces with chips and a rainbow fruit and veg platter. Scarlett asked for an ice cream cake, so I made her a choco-vanilla-cookies and cream cake which had the kids literally licking their plates (but seriously everything was store bought, I only take credit for the execution). After her friends went home, we ordered in pizza and spent the rest of the evening relaxing. Well the kids did. I was post party cleaning.
Scarlett had her favourite cereal for bday breakfast (reese puffs) and we had crepes for supper. She was very excited about her barbie house (thank you marketplace) and spent most of her free time playing barbies. Aftrer church, we went for a walk along of one the many musko park trails, and enjoyed a movie after supper. She's looking forward to her mom daughter date at the movie theater next week!
Birthday Interview
Favourite movie: Prince of Egypt (we've only watched it once...)
Favourite animal: kitty cat (also true)
Favourite TV show: DC superhero girls (truth)
Favourite book: Dr Seuss anthology
Favourite food: spaghetti
What do you want to be when you grow up? a mommy (this has been her answer every year for the last 3 and it melts my heart)
What is your favourite thing to do for fun: play outside with Brooklyn
What are you scared of? the witch in the attic (got dad to thank for that one)
What would your super power be? invisibility
What is your favourite memory about being 5? when we went to West Edmonton Mall for our mommy daughter date
What are you most excited about being 6? going to grade 1!
Scarlett is such a fun little girl. Her imagination with absolutely endless. She can invent a game out of ANYTHING. And I mean anything- pencils, paper clips, elastic bands... The most mundane of items gain a life of their own in the adventures her creative genius comes up with. She will disappear for hours (literally) in a world of barbies, or ponies, or cars, or princesses. Once when I joined her in a game for Barbies, she set them out and asked me which "family" I wanted to be. All her barbies (there are at least 20 between all the girls) have names and are grouped into families, which she separated for me and introduced me to them all. She also makes them have the funniest conversations.
S "My armpits are sweating to go to the movie theater!"
She also loves to build, and create towers, stealing Isaac's LEGO minifigures to house inside.
Besides pretend play, she also loves to be outside and ride her bike or scooter. She's always up for playing at the park.
For someone who has started her first 5 years of life as my most introverted child, she made so many friends in kindergarten and absolutely loved school. She picked up so much French, and I was often blown away by all the words she knew, and has started teaching Brooklyn.
She's not a picky eater, and eats pretty much anything. One night I hadn't had a chance to have dinner, and just threw some frozen chicken tenders in the oven. I left the bag on the counter while I went to put Brooklyn to bed, and when I came downstairs, there was a random chicken piece sitting in the middle of the counter. Upon further inspection, I could see bite marks all around the edge (this is frozen, raw chicken...). Scarlett said she was hungry and wanted a snack, so she just helped herself to some raw frozen chicken like an animal. She must have a cast iron stomach, because I was sure she'd be waking me up in the middle of the night throwing up. But she was totally fine. She is an especial lover of fruits and veggies, and I credit that for her ability to bounce back quicker from being sick than anyone in the family.
According to our scale she is just 30lbs. But she has grown, based on the number of pants I had to retire over the course of the year. I did still send her to school in a 24 month size raincoat one day! Her and B are nearly in the same size clothes and shoes.
Scarlett did both swimming lessons and gymnastics this year and is gaining confidence in her athletic abilities. Her independence in the water has definitely increased.
She is inquisitive and always full of questions. Like deep, philosophical questions that I have to take a while to think about. But then lots of the time she also comes up with her own answer. One day she asked me what Muslim women wore "dresses with hoodies attached", I started to explain and then she asked "Is it because they're bald underneath?".
"It's when the hairs on your arms stand up."
S "Oh...they're standing up because they don't have gravity?"
I know she said she wants to be a mommy but we also had this conversation a few months ago
"No that's what a surgeon does."
S "Oh, I want to be a surgeon."
"Well you have to sew them back together again after. Your fixing stuff that's wrong."
S "Hmm well I'll have to think about what I want to be when I grow up."
"A coroner look inside people's bodies after they die."
S "Yeah I'd rather do that. Will I get fired if I don't sew them back together?"



















No comments:
Post a Comment