Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Miss Mia: 8 years old

 Mia turned 8 a few weeks ago, and I can't quite believe it. She had been counting down her bday since before Christmas. Maybe since November haha. Then two days after her birthday "Mum how many more days until my birthday?" Me "363 and don't ask me again until next January". Mia "That's not a real number." She is obsessed with knowing how many days until things happen (if you know, you know). 

Mia had her birthday planned well in advance of the actual date. I was forced to go over the itinerary at least daily (as was pretty much everyone else within ear shot or my cell coverage). As per her request, we had crepes for breakfast and opened presents. Then her dad took her out for lunch and to the pool for the afternoon- GP has a fabulous pool. We had McDonalds for supper, and vanilla cupcakes with chocolate vanilla swirled icing. It was a pretty great day for her. She is looking forward to her pj-pizza-pinata-party this weekend. She wanted a Harry Potter themed party, but printed on Lord of the Rings invitations. Hopefully none of my fellow super nerds were under the impression that I ignorantly thought they were the same story. But it is so like Mia to ask for something like that, I couldn't say no haha.

                                        

                                        

                                        

Mia is such a unique girl. Seriously unlike anyone I have ever met. She has many diverse interests and it's impossible for me to say "she's like this" or "she's like that". She's simply Mia. Again- if you know, you know.

Mia at 8 years old

Favourite colour: teal, magenta, blue
Favourite animal: koala (then she named like 6 more)
Favourite movie: Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings 
Favourite TV show: Miraculous Ladybug
Favourite food: pizza, lasagne soup (it's actually chicken nuggets from McDs but I'm so flattered she said something I make that I left it)
Favourite book: Sophie mouse, LOL, all the books
Favourite activity: building snowmen, drawing
What are you scared of? black monster (something she made up), Gollum
What would you want your super power to be? Reading minds or shape shifting
What do you want to be when you grow up? A teacher or a hair stylist
What's the best thing about being 8? It's a big number and you get to go on more rides

The tooth fairy has honestly visited her more times in the last year than I can count. But Mia has also lost her tooth (like I'm talking about losing it after it falls out of her mouth) pretty much every time. So it's a miracle the tooth fairy still manages to give her money even though there are no teeth to collect.

Mia is a great helper at home. She's so good with Lily and has been a natural with her since she was born. She notices when people need help and does her best to take care of those needs. She is often selfless and will sacrifice her time or things for others. She got some new nail polish for her bday, and she asked if she could paint nails. When she finished, it was Brooklyn who came down with her nails painted with Mia's new nail polish. Mia didn't even paint her nails, she painted her little sister's. 

She works hard in her school work and loves math. She's always asking me to quiz her on addition and subtraction facts, and she's always counting. One family movie night she was having a bowl of chips. Mia "ok I'm going to eat the first chip now." Few mins later "ok time for my second chip". Then every few minutes she'd randomly say "13!" "19!"
Her reading is really great, both in French and in English, and she reads to me or Gordon every night. She had a bit of a rough patch adjusting to her new school, but I think we're coming out of that now.

She loves talking to her family on messenger kids and is always spamming them with selfies and stickers. She's my social girl who loves to be around people.

Mia has an infectious laugh that comes straight from her gut. The expression "burst out laughing" is a pretty accurate description.

I have converted her to Lord of the Rings fandom by watching the trilogy with her and Isaac over the fall break while Gordon was working up here. 

She is always trying to do some acrobatic feat and loves gymnastics. She's constantly doing handstands on the furniture and cartwheels in the living room. I was having trouble with her Halloween costume selection last year, so I asked her if she was flexible with it. She says "yeah I'm flexible" and proceeds to contortion herself into a pretzel. Me "No, not that kind of flexible..." haha 
The other day she did an arabesque for about 20 seconds and then announced "See mom, I'm really good at gymnastics. Put me in the olympics." If I could only bottle her confidence. 

She says the sweetest prayers. "Please bless our ancestors, even though they're not here, they're in heaven, or maybe hell. And PLEASE BLESS I WILL BE A FAIRY IN MY DREAM!" or " Please bless our grandparents, and Gigi..wait is Gigi a grandparent?" "Please bless the people in England that are waking up now." Her list of things she is thankful for can take several minutes to go through.

Mia has a tendency to sleep walk. It's almost always because she needs to go to the bathroom, but one of us often has to help her or she'll be wandering around the house, pacing back and forth, or be going into bedrooms and turning on lights in the dead of night...

Mia's had some minor health challenges over the last year. She started having this abdominal pain that would come and go along with joint pain and headaches. Then it started increasing in frequency, often leading her to be puking in the middle of the night. Finally we were able to get into our pediatrician in Edmonton, and put her through a bunch of tests for all kinds of things and everything came back negative. So she was diagnosed with "functional abdominal pain" which fits her presentation pretty accurately. I started her on some daily probiotics after doing some research, and the stomach upset episodes have definitely decreased, and no more puking (this was happening once or twice a month before). Yay for her!

We were really concerned for a bit that it could be celiac, but thankfully bloodwork was negative. She is the pickiest one in our family, and gluten is definitely a staple of her diet. I got her liking greek yogurt and turkey pepperoni sticks, so at least now I have some good protein options in her lunch. She also likes feta cheese, basically the only cheese she will eat unless it's mozzarella on pizza or white cheddar in my "tiny white noodles" aka my homemade mac and cheese. One day I asked her what she wanted for dinner that week, and she says "tiny white noodles". I asked her if she ever got bored of that, since she had already asked for that a week or two ago. She puts her hands on her hips and sasses "Well do you ever get tired of chicken?" Touche. I also cannot write a blog post about her without mentioning her love for McDs chicken nuggets. It's the only leftovers she will eat, and she'll eat them for breakfast.

Mia is a little accident prone. She's often tripping, slipping, falling into random bodies of water... she also has an affinity for getting her limbs or appendages stuck in places. One morning she woke up and she had left a stupid plastic ring on her finger all night, so her finger looked like a sausage cut in half by this ring. I was busy getting lunches ready for school, and did not have time to be prying a ring off her finger which was barely visible because of how swollen her finger was. Thankfully this was pre Gordon moving to GP ahead of us, and I had to wake him up to deal with it. With a pair of pliers he managed to carefully pry the ring off while leaving her finger unscathed. That ring magically disappeared shortly after.

Mia is our thrill seeker. We went to a haunted house that was supposed to be child friendly around Halloween, but it was not as friendly as I had hoped. Unfortunately the only way to get out was to go through. The poor little girls came out clutching my parents crying, and Isaac even slept in our bed that night. Mia? She kept asking for Gordon to take her back. She loves the craziest rides, the highest climbs, the biggest drops. Sometimes I'm amazed she has any of my genetics at all.
She is also a lover of water. She loves to swim and you can bet if there is a body of water you can swim in, she will be in there no matter how cold the water is or whether she even has a bathing suit with her.

One of my favourite things about Mia is that she inherently wants people to cooperate and work together. She has a hard time playing games where she needs to deliberately block someone, because "we're on a team"...even though she's not. Her big brother loves to use this to his advantage and will convince Mia they're on a team to gang up on someone else, but then you can bet he's leaving her high and dry when his opponents are all gone. Whenever we try and explain why a move is to her advantage "but I don't want to be mean" or "but we're friends". Again, I'm sure my genetics are in there somewhere haha.

We sure love watching this girl grow and bring so much life to our family.






















No comments:

Post a Comment