Pages

Monday, March 30, 2020

Homeschooling: the routine

I know technically this week is supposed to be spring break, but I decided to push it back until closer to Easter (and hopefully nicer weather). Plus I want at least another week or two to solidify our routine, before we take a week off. Isaac's google classroom is all set up, so I'm sure some of the routine will be modified slightly to accommodate his assigned work, but I think I can probably fit it into what we've created.

The first week I was so overwhelmed with advice experts and seasoned homeschoolers. They should have a routine, but not too much of a routine. Worksheets are a waste of time, here are some great worksheets! They should still get dressed everyday, let them wear pjs all day. Enjoy all this magical family time, but really sometimes I just want to put myself in a sensory deprivation tank. Why isn't this magical family time? Why is everyone growling at each other? HURRY UP AND STOP BEING COLD SO WE CAN GO OUTSIDE!!!

In the end I think it all comes down to knowing yourself and your kids. I know what I need for my mental health (a reasonably clean house and daily exercise), and I know what my kids need to not only help them get through this period time, but also to set them up for success when they inevitably go back. So with that in mind, I now ignore all well meaning posts of dos and do nots, and follow my mom instincts.

That means we get dressed every morning for 9am, with our teeth brushed and our breakfast dishes put away. (On Fridays they can stay in their pjs all morning-see not totally a meanie).

We spend half an hour reading in French and English to each other, to ourselves, out loud, with me, with his teacher using google classroom, using YouTube etc. We talk about the day of the week, the month, and year, as well as the weather.

The next half hour is French, every day. We practice our French vocab, we write in journals, we listen to french fairy tales and talk about what we heard. This is more of a "traditional" school time.

At 10 we take a break for snack and movement. We do just dance routines or yoga, and stretch our muscles.

Then we have "creative time" every day. Some days we focus on an art project or music, and some days they can do whatever they want (lego, jewellery making, stickers, play doh, colouring, imaginative play, pastels etc).

At 11 we go into "academic time", and just do 30 mins of one subject (alternating each day). Sometimes it's game based, sometimes it's science experiments, sometimes it's worksheets. 

We take an hour for lunch and free time, and after a 15-30 mins period of tidy up. Mostly the kids clean up their toys, but sometimes we do extra jobs like a disinfecting sweep, wiping windows, or dusting.

After lunch we have an hour of "academic screen time". The can watch documentaries or educational shows, play on educational sites etc The subjects vary from day to day, but 30 mins is the "designated subject" and 30 mins is their choice. This is generally B's nap time, so my workout time.

We follow that by 30 mins of "gym" where we find fun workout videos to do or play outside (if it's nice). They also have their afternoon snack.

Then I try and squeeze in some "life skills" teaching. Things like folding laundry, tying shoes, washing hands.

Around 3 is "free time". They can do whatever as long as no screens are involved.

Then once daddy gets home at 345, it's afternoon tidy up and then they can have their hour of "free" screen time.

We don't treat this like the letter of the law, and we borrow time here and there or shuffle things around as needed. But it gives us a rough timeline to go by, and helps us make sure we get enough moving, creating, playing, reading, and a variety of learning every day. Plus it prevents the kids asking me for snacks and screen time all day, because they know what times of day are set apart for them. It also allows for me to have time with the baby girls when the older ones are doing self directed activities, and time for me to workout and tidy up regularly.

Some people are totally go with the flow people, and have no routine, and if that works for them great. But that's not me. It makes me feel out of control and anxious to have no routine or plan. So this is what is working (or semi working haha) for our family right now. Hope y'all are being patient with yourselves, and finding out what works for you and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment