My big boy turned five a month and a half ago. How did 60 months go by since he was born?
He was able to have a birthday party with a few friends, where his only requests were batman balloons and oreo cupcakes. I don't think I've ever heard the words "pee" "poop" or "fart" so many times in 2 hours. I ended up giving them all balloons to blow up for the last 20 minutes to keep their mouths occupied.
Both sets of grandparents were able to come to town for his actual birthday. We had a low key day of presents, lego building, park playing, and pizza and batman cake eating.
Isaac hasn't changed too much (apart from size) since the day he was born. He is still busy, vocal, and smarter than is good for any five year old boy. He sees everything, remembers everything, and analyzes everything. He loves to build, and will spend hours in his room with his LEGO drawer creating ships and planes. He's recently learned the art of following the LEGO instructions, and will pour over his multiple instruction books assembling bits and pieces of different sets.
He's recently started enjoying drawing and colouring. Until about 4, I couldn't even get him to hold a pencil properly. Now he's designing houses and dinosaurs. His fine motor skills have really improved and can't write most things if I tell him the letters involved.
He still loves Batman, sharks and Star Wars.
This is what he had to say about being five
Name: Isaac Nish
Age: Five
Where do you live: Edmonton
What do you want to be when you grow up: fireman
Favourite food: macaroni and cheese (the orange kind dad makes), watermelon
**I'm hoping one day his palate will learn to appreciate homemade mac and cheese instead of KD
Favourite movie: batman vs superman, lego batman movie
**he hasn't actually seen batman vs superman. I think he just assumes it would be his favourite if mean mummy actually let him watch it**
Favourite TV show: blue batman
Grade at school: grade six? grade one? grade nothing. I'm in zero grades.
Best friends: E and T (kindergarten friends)
Favourite thing to do: dress up in my Darth Vader costume
Who do you want to be like: batman
Best thing about being five: having birthday cake
Isaac started french immersion kindergarten with a fabulous teacher. He has picked up the language so quickly and frequently uses french words to replace words in the middle of his sentences. He just won an award at a leadership assembly for always being safe at school.
Unfortunately my handy record of Isaac's funny stories is on strike right now, and has yet to be fixed. But here are a few of the ones I can remember.
The kids were watching Despicable Me 3, and Isaac asked me if I was a better mom than Lucy. I asked him if he thought I was, and after a moment's reflection he said "Well she's skinny, but you're....(me fully expecting fat to come out of his mouth) strong."
Isaac and I debating if I know everything or not. "Well mum, do you know how to build a treehouse?" Me silently contemplating the answer that will not compromise my position.
Isaac taking advantage of my silence "Ohhhhh so you don't know everything."
The bishop asked Isaac if his parents were perfect and told him to think about his answer very carefully. Isaac replies "Yep. I didn't have to think about it that much!"
A few months ago the kids were in a ninja turtles phase. Isaac also happens to have a friend named Leo (also the name of a ninja turtle). On the way home from school one day Isaac was telling me about his friend Leo. Mia pipes up "Leo is my friend too". I just dismissed it as Mia's usual friends-with-everyone attitude. But Isaac, ever more astute, says "He's not a turtle Mia." "Oh." Mia says. It was pretty clear by her response that she thought her brother was friends with a ninja turtle.
We were having wraps for supper and he says "look mum!". He ate out two eye holes and plastered his now empty tortilla to his face like a mask.
I was reminding Isaac that his job is being a big brother, not a parent, and he says "I just wish I was a parent! I want a parent job!" I asked him why he wanted a parent job (aka bill paying, working, cooking, laundry, etc) and he says "So I can just boss people around!" I guess there's that too haha.
He challenges me every day in multiple ways. The refining,
stretching, and molding he puts me through causes me to soul search like
I've never thought possible. Sometimes I feel like I'm the mom on Home
Alone and I've been treating him like Kevin before he wishes they would
all disappear. And then at the end of the day he says "mum, I'm sorry
for the way I've acted today" or "mum, I want to have some alone time
with you" or "I want to cuddle with my lovely mother". I love this boy so much and am so far from the person I used to be since being his mother!


No comments:
Post a Comment