Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Isaac update

We are only two months away from the "fearsome fours", as my mother in law calls it.

Isaac doesn't miss out on many opportunities to remind me why they're called that.

He is stubborn, always challenging me, and constantly refers to himself as "20 years old", which is why he gives himself permission to do the crazy things he does.

But he is also one of the sharpest, brightest, and funniest kids I have ever met.

Here is a selection of the hilarious, and sometimes very weird conversations that go on in this house.

Isaac falls down outside, and Mia being the dutiful little sister, runs to his side. For some reason Isaac gets mad about this, and I just explain to him that Mia just wants to check on him to see if he's okay.
He says "She doesn't need to check on me. She's not a doctor...or a dentist."

I was helping myself to a piece of a chocolate bar in the kitchen, when Isaac came in and asked what I was eating. I didn't feel like a fight so I quickly stopped chewing and said nothing.
He says "Well why were your cheeks moving up and down?"

Whenever he isn't allowed to do something or we don't have something he says "Well I have that at my house!" or "I'm allowed to do that at my house!". When I asked him where his house was he told me "I live in the mountains with Mia. And we can see the prophet, because he lives in the mountains too."

One day he told me he had kittens at "his house". 
I asked him where he got the kittens. He replied "China".
I asked "Why China?"
He explained "Well that's where baby sisters come from."

He told me he would do something when he got back from work.
I asked "Where do you work?"
He says "I work at the zoo. I protect the dinosaurs so they don't come alive and eat people."

Last week he turned to me and asks me very seriously "Will you be my wifer?"
Me "What's a wifer?"
Isaac "Well I guess it's just a wife."

We were playing superheroes and he had me wear a princess crown around the house. He tried to explain my character "Your name is Princess Scarlett Mummy...or Robin. But I don't know what that means. We haven't had that conversation yet."

And then there's the selection of adult expressions
"An excellent point mum!"
"I actually prefer..."
"I'm so proud of you!"

And teenager expressions
"Whatever"
"I am never having a mummy like you again!"
"That's lame!"
"Why do you never let me do anything?!" (usually when I refuse his 9am treat request)

I've really noticed Isaac's social skills grow immensely in the last few months. Last summer I hated being at the park with lots of kids (especially day cares or summer camps!), because Isaac hated big crowds and would often get grouchy or want to go home. Now I love going to the park when there are tons of new friends for him to make. He'll just flit from one group to the next, playing pretty happily most of the time, especially if they are boys who are into superheroes.

He is still obsessed with Batman and has to wear his cape and mask to the park. I'll see him running around with other boys while they call him "Batman" and he calls them "Spidey".

 Isaac LOVES his little sisters, especially Scarlett (probably because she's a baby and can't bother him yet haha). In the morning he often wakes up and says "Scarlett!! Hello my precious little girl!" He's great about getting her burp cloth, or putting her soother in if she's fussy.
 
 
He does love Mia too, and gets pretty bored when she's having a nap. They can play super well together, usually restaurant or monster hunting. Although they do do their fair share of pestering each other just like most siblings who are only 14 months apart.

He tells everyone he meets about his two sisters Mia and Scarlett. He even brings his newfound friends over to the stroller at the park to show Scarlett off, and always makes sure Mia is included in the game if she wants to be.

The other day I noticed Isaac hanging around with another mum and her two twin girls who were probably 18 months or so. I went over to check on him (and make sure he wasn't bothering them), and watched as she loaded both girls into swings. Isaac started pushing one of them and she pushed the other. She told me he was being a really big help to her and taking turns going down the slides with each of the girls. I told her he had two little sisters and she said "I know. Mia and Scarlett right?".
  
He is a climber extraordinaire, and has mastered monkey bars, sliding down the fireman pole, and riding his two wheeler with training wheels. He loves to somersault and tumble.
He has to put Baa (his favourite stuffie-a sheep) in our freezer every night before bed so he can be cold. I have NO clue how this started, but it's part of the bedtime routine now. *He goes into a drawer of our deep freeze that doesn't have food in it*

He already has a very distinct taste in music, and although he listens to my music way more, he definitely sways more to his father's tastes. Rock n' roll is usually his request in the car, and he especially loves "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "Another One Bites the Dust".

Some of his favourite books are "Paper Bag Princess" and "Peter Rabbit".

Isaac gets to start preschool in September, and I'm so excited for him to continue to learn and grow. He is working on counting past 20, can spell his name, and can read small words. I am teaching him simple math (at his request!), and I love the look on his face when he gets equations right.

He still continues to push every boundary, challenge every limit, and squeeze every last ounce of patience out of me on an almost daily basis. BUT I know that behind all that is a strong, capable, brilliant, determined, and loving boy who is still getting used to being a kid when he feels like an adult.












No comments:

Post a Comment