He's not so little anymore!
He's in a "big boy bed" now. It's an extra double bed in his room that we've been using for our family when they stay. One day, about a month or so ago, he decided he was tired and wanted to go to bed, so he went to his room and started to climb into the double. I decided to let him sleep there, just to see how it went, fully expecting him to get up a million times before he went to sleep. He didn't get up once. We decided to put him back in his crib before we went to bed, but the next night we just left him to sleep in the big bed. He slept until 830 in the morning, not getting out once. It was the same for naps. I thought the transition from crib to bed was going to be ridiculously hard, but this was painless so far! (Now only if he'd potty train himself...)
I knew eventually he would figure out that he could get out of the bed, and he did. Then he would open his door and call out "mummy? mummy?" from the door, I'd ignore him, and he take two tiny steps out and say "mummy? mummy?". I'd have to turn away so he couldn't see me laughing at how cute he was, but eventually he'd go back to his bed and go to sleep. Then he started playing in his room, climbing up on his change table to get things. One night Gordon and I went to tuck him in before we went to bed, and found him sleeping on a mountain of q-tips he had dumped on the bed haha. Another night I found him with every blanket and stuffed animal in a big mountain that he was sleeping on. Now he doesn't play as much but he'll still get up when we put him down and open the door, but now he'll say "stowy? stowy?" or "sahn?" "sahn?". He tries to stall for all it's worth, but I'm usually mean mama and just put him back to bed haha.
These are a few of his favourite things!
He has named his favourite stuffies Puppy (is a puppy wouldn't ya know!), Baa (the sheep), Bobo (his bear), and Hoo Hoo (his owl). He usually has to bring all of them to bed with him, and if there's one missing, he'll ask for it by name, or he'll just run out of his room calling for it. Sometimes "eeyoh" (Eeyore) and "awpus" (octopus) have to come as well.
-Skype. He recognizes the icon, knows how to get into it, and call my family. I had to hide it on my tablet because he kept trying to call them all the time.
-Anything mechanical that moves: planes, cars, buses, the wagon-he frequently asks to go for a "walk" in the "wyegun". He is a boy through and through.
| Isaac got to "drive" the bus on our field trip. He LOVES buses. |
-The movie Toy Story
-Slides and will go down any one, no matter how big.
-The park. He is a monkey and is great at scaling playground equipment. He can climb up 6ft tall ladders to the top of a playground, even ones that curve at the top so you're parallel to the ground. The other day two older boys said "Look at that baby climbing!". Sometimes my heart skips a beat and I get nervous, but he proves to me time and time again that he's capable.
-"wunning" (running). Especially through the water at the spray park.
-Animals. He loves chasing birds and petting puppies. Even the animals on Mia's shirts get kisses and cuddles from Isaac.
-The outdoors. This boy can't get enough of being outside.
![]() |
| With daddy during out Banff/Lake Louise trip |
He likes other little people (most of the time...)!
Thanks to nursery and us going to a weekly city-run playgroup, Isaac has overcome his shyness for the most part, and become a lot more social. He'll "talk" to other kids...well mostly they talk to him and he says "yeah" or "no", but he's not such a cling-on in public anymore!
He can speak!
Isaac can identify and name all his letters. One day I kept hearing him say "B! B!" I asked him where the "B" was and he went over to a diaper box and pointed to a big "B". I was pretty surprised, and then started to investigate what other letters he knew, and found out he knew several others like "O", "D", and "P". So Gordon and I started making more of an effort in helping him learn them, and within a week he could identify about 3/4 of them and now, he can name pretty much any letter. My favourite is "w" aka "dubadub".
His language skills have grown exponentially in the past few weeks. He uses words to communicate almost exclusively now (instead of pointing and grunting haha), and not only copies pretty much every word we say, but will just start saying a new word randomly. This past week has been 3-5+ new words a day including "wyegun" (wagon), "moom", (moon), a "f***" (frog)...only I'm not going to write out what it actually sounds like. Gordon and I burst out laughing, after a brief moment of "WHAT??", when I realized he was talking about a lizard on the TV that he thought was a frog. He also repeats things Gordon and I call each other like "hun", and I called Mia "missy" the other day, and Isaac was going " missy, missy". Those are the cutest.
Other Isaac favourite phrases are "Oh no!", "Oops!" or "Oopsie!", "Oh yeah!", "Um, yeah!" (usually after I've given him a choice of something and he's picking that one).
His absolute favourite word has to be "on". Everything is "on? on?". Not all in this world is electronic sweet boy. Yet.
He's quirky!
Isaac gives the funniest looks sometimes. You'll just have to take my word for it, I can't even attempt to do them justice.
He
knocks on closed doors all the time. He'll hide in his closet, close
the door, and knock on it when he wants me to open it. It's not
limited to his closet. If Mia has woken up and is making noise, he'll
knock on our bedroom door like he expects her to come open it haha.
He has lots of brain power!
He can name all the numbers 1 through 10 and now he's learning to put them in the proper order. Right now, at his best, it sounds like "one, twooooooo, thwee, sick, eight, niiiiiiiine".
Isaac has a terrific memory. He'll see something in a book, like a duck, point to it and I'll tell him we don't have one. Then he'll run off and find some random duck that we never even play with. That's happened several times with different things. Or sometimes, I'll make a deal with him and even if I don't mention what I promised to give him more than once and it's way later, he'll come to me to make good on the deal.
Isaac is great at identifying things by sounds-a puppy barking, a bus driving by (which we can hear when we're in the house and he'll shout "bus!"), a plane flying in the sky, Mia waking up from her nap... Nothing wrong with this boy's ears.
He recognizes his name written out (at least I'm pretty sure...).This week I spelt his name on paper, but didn't tell him it was his name and didn't say what I was spelling, I just said the letters as I wrote them. Then I asked him what it said-not sure why I asked since I didn't expect him to tell me-but he said "Isaac". And just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, the next day I showed him his name on paper and asked him what it said and he told me the same thing! He never ceases to surprise me.
He loves his fam.
Isaac loves Mia. He's always trying to climb in the stroller with her, climb in her bed, or lie down exactly where I was going to put her. He gets mad if I pick her up when he's playing with her. He likes showing her his toys, for the most part, and likes to make her laugh and giggle by tickling her. He's really lucky she puts up with all his shenanigans. Or I'm really lucky I guess.
The other day, I went to put Isaac in the van and left Mia inside the door (Isaac tends to run away and we don't have a fence, so he just runs into the alley or the road, plus I'm usually carrying a couple bags, hence why I take them separately). Isaac said "oh no!" ran back to the house and started to pull Mia's car seat out the door. We went on an Isaac and mummy date this week, and several times he'd randomly ask "Mia?" or say "oh Mia!" like he was telling me we forgot her.
| Reading a story to Mia |
He cuddles with me in his bed while we read a "stowy" and I sing him "sahns". He says "yuhyou" (love you), when we leave.
This week he's started asking for "ganny" (granny) and "gappy" (grampy) and "gamma" and "gampa"
This week he's started asking for "ganny" (granny) and "gappy" (grampy) and "gamma" and "gampa"
Impossible to put into words how much I love this kid!

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment