Warning: it may be boring, so I won't be offended if you don't read it. As I said, it's more for me than for you.
It has been different in many ways from my pregnancy with Isaac, some of them good, some of them not so good, but all of it just confirms my hunch that this one is a girl! We do plan on finding out the gender this time, so I won't have to wait til they're here to see if my prediction is true for a second time around. I don't get in to see my OB until the end of Aug, pretty much the halfway mark, so the ultrasound will for sure be a few weeks later than normal. She was unfortunately away all of July and none of the other doctors could see me earlier. Summer is busy for babies. As much as I'd like to hear baby's heartbeat and be reassured everything is okay, I know that if the Lord really wants for this little one to come into our family, He'll make it happen! So here's a little comparison of both my pregnancies so far.
Isaac vs baby 2.0 (B2)
-morning sickness started the same time with both-6 weeks
-Isaac caused me to have a close relationship the bathroom, but I always felt better after our little sessions. It stopped at about 11 weeks. B2 has made me more nauseous in general, but not as much bathroom time, so the nausea just sticks around longer and has already passed the 11 week mark. Luckily it's gone from lasting almost all day until dinner, to only a few hours in the morning.
-I've needed to eat every few hours with both babies. Hunger=nausea. However, with Isaac I could get by with little things like toast, a piece of fruit or a granola bar. This baby is a hungry hungry hippo. I tried eating the same amounts I did with Isaac and would wind up hungry (and subsequently more nauseous) 30 minutes later. This baby has needed good sized meals and snacks from the beginning which was probably the hardest part of the first few weeks. It would take me 15-20 minutes to figure out what I could eat without getting sick. Gordon definitely had to make a few runs to the grocery store...and McDonalds...
-The smell of meat and our old handsoap used to make my stomach turn with the first pregnancy. This one has made me hate stew...don't ask... and Isaac's baby food. I started buying him jarred baby food (except fruit), because blending stuff up for him, even just veggies made me sick.
-I never really had any cravings the first time around, much to Gordon's dismay. He was looking forward to late night burger or ice cream runs. He hasn't been disappointed with this one. Some of them have been real cravings, but some things (like a cheeseburger-weird I know) were the only things I thought I could stomach.
-I turned into both a werewoman and a pimply teenager with Isaac. Not this time!
-Fatigue has been major the first few months. Like take-2-3-naps-a-day-with-Isaac major.
-It took 14-15 weeks before any little bump appeared with Isaac and even up until 6-7 months, people were still surprised I was pregnant (although I'm pretty sure it was obvious by then...). I said hello to the beginning of a bump at 9 weeks and as long as you know what I looked like 4-6 months after Isaac you would be able to tell I was pregnant, depending on what I'm wearing of course.
![]() |
| 12 weeks with Isaac. I was so stinking skinny! |
| 11 weeks with baby 2.0 after a run. |
Aside about above (this is more for my recollection than your interest because you may just think I'm having a pity party-so feel free to skip, but feel free to read on if you want! Just don't judge me:)
This has been one of the hardest parts of the pregnancy so far. After Isaac I started whipping myself back into my old shape and by 4 months post partum was working out -running 15-20k/wk, weights, cardio aerobics- 5 to 6 times a week. I wasn't expecting my body to go back exactly how it used to be. My rib cage was wider and my weight redistributed to my hips (which I guess is common after a baby), so I had a little bit of a new body to deal with. My goal was to be toned, instead of trying to force my body back to the way it was before. I had finally come to terms with this, giving my sister some pants that I knew I probably wouldn't fit again, and was doing great, starting to see my abs, and my flabby arms were a thing of the past! Then 4 weeks of being sick + moving + fatigue killed my working out. I've been able to get back into it the last few weeks and even ran my whole 5k race yesterday, but obviously I've had to decrease my intensity. I've been running 5k max and doing light weights in the morning. Sometimes I have to sit on the couch and do them so I don't get sick. It's been hard to make this transition but I know that my work before was not in vain, and that regular exercise is a good habit I'll be able to keep for life. I just wanted to enjoy the fruits of my labour (aka non flabby arms and tummy), a little bit longer.
Now that I'm getting out of the first trimester, I hope that the sickness will start to go away completely and that my bump will get out of the too-much-fast-food awkward stage to the cute yes-I'm-pregnant-but-not-close-to-popping-yet stage.

morgan! I wish I was like you! I am having the hardest time finding motivation to work out! You're doing great!
ReplyDeleteThanks hun! Anyone can do it, you just gotta find what you like and a schedule that works for you. It's definitely harder with a baby but it is so worth it, and all you need to do is take baby steps. But I'd have a hard time finding motivation to work out too if I was as tiny as you:)
ReplyDelete