Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Student vs. the reality of work

Time to blog me thinketh. To be honest, it's just been work the past 6 weeks. Although we've had some fun evenings with friends, nothing super noteworthy has occurred. So I've been stuck in the what-to-blog-about rut. There's no point in spending half an hour (or less...) writing a post that's going to make people boycott by blog out of boredom. Plus I don't really wanna waste my time writing about stuff that no one will want to read about, my journal can take care of that. Since I only have 2 shifts left in my full time rotation as an undergrad nurse in neurosurgery, I've been reflecting on all the great learning experiences I've had and all the things that I've learnt. The biggest nugget of knowledge running through all of this is (maybe obviously) what they teach you as a nursing student is generally a far cry from the reality of what nursing is. This is more a product of the circumstances of the health care system, especially being short staffed, but sometimes the things that they've drilled in me for exams are almost silly to me when I'm actually working. For all those who aren't nursing, I'm sure lots of these lessons learned aren't a far cry from your own experiences. Let me share some valuable tidbits that no amount of theory and schooling could have taught me.
*sometimes I just can't get everything done that I would like to or in the time that I'd like to and that's ok
*it's probably better to take a part time position and a casual position than a permanent full time position
*it's alright to sit down for five minutes during my shift other than my break
*all the CPR classes in the world couldn't prepare me for actually resuscitating a patient
*every day that Gordon and I wake up and go to bed safely is an amazing blessing from the Lord
*not every patient or family is going to like me and it is not my fault
*patients care about being comfortable and being heard, not about getting all their meds by 8:30
*often I know my patient better than most doctors
*sometimes nursing is instinct
*nurses often give the very best care they can, we try our best, please be patient with us

No comments:

Post a Comment