So for those of you who may not know, I am growing my hair out to donate to cancer. Orignally this started as me growing my hair out for my wedding (almost 14 mths ago), but Gordon loves long hair and wanted me to keep growing it. So I had this brilliant idea that would let me keep my long hair but then cut it short (the way I like it) for a good reason. I've been laying off the monster cuts and allowing only trims for 19mths now and I'm really starting to feel like it's getting to be that time. Sometimes when I'm in the shower I really start thinking about cutting it and I actually get sad. I've always thought people with long hair were really silly when they cried if they were getting a bunch chopped off...now I think I might be one of those people. I feel like the more I've let it grow the more it's a part of me, not just my body, but me...cutting it will mean losing that part. Then again every hair brushing session where I'm fighting furiously with knots, every time I zip my hair into my coat, every time I put my backpack on and get my hair caught underneath, and every time my hair gets pulled or yanked or rolled onto, I don't think it'll be so bad after all. Maybe the biggest deal is Gordon always pouting when I talk about cutting it or putting on a little boy voice and telling me "No". I think that's what gets me. I know he's not going to love me any less with short hair, but it feels weird knowing that he won't like my hair as much or maybe even the way I look as much. I know it's silly girl feelings but still. We all indulge our significant others a little bit in the way we look, do we not?
I think I just need to set a date and go for it. The haircut itself will be free, courtesy of my sister-in-law. I also have confidence knowing that I'm doing it for a good cause, for people who don't have a choice about cutting their hair or not. Plus, my younger sisters have both donated to cancer (one sister cut her hair like I will, and my youngest sister shaved her head and raised money). So after this it will be a whole family of donations. It'll all be worth it. Un peu de courage. C'est tout.
I'm doing the same thing. One of my best friends passed away almost four years ago from cancer so I like doing it every few years for her. My hair will probably be long enough just after baby comes so it will be a nice change to go shorter. When I have my long hair, I miss my short and when I have my short, I miss my long. Its an ongoing battle :)
ReplyDelete