Pages

Monday, November 6, 2023

Isaac: 11 years old

 Isaac turned 11 a few days before Halloween. I can't believe I have an 11 year old in the house. I can see some teenager like behaviours starting to manifest- concern with his appearance, eating weird things like bbq and mayo sandwiches with a processed cheese slice, obsessively doing bicep curls around the house...

For his bday, he was lucky to have his Grandma and Grandpa here. We had crepes for breakfast, then they took him to the mall. There was an afternoon of swimming at the pool and he went to spend an evening with his friends out on a farm. After he came home, he ate the homemade oreo ice cream he had requested as his bday dessert. I won't lie- it was not quite the birthday I had envisioned. But I try and let my kids make as many decisions as possible on their special day, because when you're 1 of 5, you don't always get to have things your way.

For his party, he spent an afternoon at the pool with friends, and then we brought them back to our house and had pizza and a pinata.

Isaac birthday interview

Favourite movie: Terminator
Favourite colour: red/blue
Favourite book: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Favourite subject:  gym
Favourite TV show: Teen Titans
Favourite passtime: computer games
Favourite animal: Elkhound and budgie
What do you want to be when you grow up?: Something with lots of money
What are you scared of?: Clowns and Brooklyn when she gets mad
What would your super power be?: I would have a magic notebook where anything I write or draw would happen or come alive (this is way more terrifying than clowns or a raging Brooklyn in my opinion)
Who is someone you look up to?: I don't admire anyone (Wowwwwww)
Describe yourself in 3 words: I. Am. Cool.
Favourite thing about being 10: Being double digits
What are you most looking forward to about being 11?: Being tall (I think this will be disappointing) and being able to go on more rides

Isaac has caused me to grow as a person, and a mom, in ways I couldn't have predicted. He asks thought provoking questions, is curious about the world, and challenges opinions and beliefs regularly. Sometimes I don't even know how to answer or broach what he is getting at, and I have to sit there and contemplate how to discuss a grown up topic with my 11 year old.

These last couple months he has put in more time to studying, exercise, and even cleaning his room than I've ever seen. He is noticing things like how he likes to sleep in clean sheets or pee in a clean toilet haha, and has some appreciation for the personal responsibility required to keep a house in order. He is of the opinion that janitors should be some of the highest paid jobs because they have to clean up everyone's messes. Apparently this does not extend to moms😂

When Isaac has something he is interested in or wants to accomplish he is very motivated to make it happen. He will research, he will make lists or notes, he will state his case and debate with Gordon and I like he is out of law school. He will work hard to make extra money to pay for the things he wants, and also understands the importance of doing research before you purchase something.

He is still picky about clothes. Will wear tshirts all year long, -40 and all. Fleecy sweats and pj pants are also acceptable, jeans and any kind of long sleeves are not. 

He loves history, especially WWI or WWII. He has an incredible memory for facts and figures.

Isaac likes a good outdoor adventure. He's into hiking and dirtbiking and likes excursions with his dad. 

He is a witty kid who always has a quip or a comment on just about everything. Even if he hasn't been invited to the conversation. Recently, Gordon and I were sharing a very rated G kiss in the kitchen. Isaac looks over says "Please stop. I don't want anymore siblings." It really doesn't matter whether you have asked for his opinion or not, because he will readily share it with you and defend it to the point of ridiculousness.

He likes listening to rock n' roll and when he first discovered Spotify, it was like a throwback to living with my dad. 

Isaac has worked on his dirtbiking skills this last year and can now do most things with his bike on his own. He did, however, get a nasty second degree burn on his leg from it that took a good two weeks to help up. Think he learned his lesson on wearing shorts while biking.

He is a strong swimmer and did really well in swimming lessons over the summer. Even though he hadn't been in official swimming lessons in a year and a half, because we couldn't make it work with judo, he passed his level with ease and now only has two more levels to pass in the regular swim program.

He also earned his green belt in Judo in June and was kind of bummed he just missed the age cutoff for the Winter Games, which are being held here this year.

Isaac would love to travel to far away places like Japan or Germany. He has been working on his German skills with Duolingo.

He still really loves Lego. There will probably be a room in the first house he buys that will need to be dedicated to his Lego. He is especially into Star Wars sets and has the displayed all around his room (which is a little bit of a dusting nightmare truthfully). He has even kept all the original boxes. He considers them his "investments".

Isaac enjoys computer games, but not board games unless he's 99% sure he will be the winner. He is fiercely competitive and a bit of a perfectionist which can be a scary combo.

We are almost finished reading Harry Potter together, and I thought he might not want to keep up with me reading to him at night. But he has already asked me what book we're going to start after we're done with Harry, and I'm glad he isn't too cool to spend time with his mom yet.

Isaac likes to put on a tough guy act, but the truth is he's actually quite a softie. He isn't too big to snuggle up to me during a movie, give his sisters piggy backs or carry their backpacks if they're heavy. He does do more than his fair share of teasing but tries to balance it out. We love this kid!
















No comments:

Post a Comment