Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

A birthday dedication to my daddy

Reasons why I love my dad in honour of his birthday! ( I had just spent 45 minutes writing this post but it never saved. GRRRR...)
My dad always included us in his hobbies, whether it was running, bike rides (I still dread those), building IKEA furniture, going to hockey games or dancing with us in the basement (in between his sets of weights), he let us know that we were important to him.
My dad always cracks jokes. ALWAYS. Especially if they keep him and others from crying during possibly emotional moments like my wedding. He wouldn't stop joking the whole time we were dancing. Thanks for saving me from being Niagra falls dad!
My dad thinks he is #1 which makes him a)impossible to argue with and win b) competitive to the point of sheer ridiculousness. And yes I do love this about him (99%) of the time. Gordon says I get my stubborness from him so maybe that's why this is included in the post.

As aforementioned my dad is competitive to the point where it's roll on the floor laughing. Winning is his obsession and he doesn't take losing lightly. If you play a game with him you have to be prepared for a solid 2 to 2.5 hours because every turn takes him 10-15 minutes. We're very accustomed to reading, getting ready for bed, or snacking during his turns. One of the games the two of us used to play a lot when I lived at home was scrabble. He taught me how to play when I was in elementary school and always used the game as an opportunity to tutor me and show me new strategies. Then I got good enough to beat him once in a while and that stopped haha. He even hid a bag of ice in my bed once after beating him. Like I said, competitive to the point of ridiculousness.
Dad loves to teach us new things. He used to read to me so much that I would have picture encyclopaedias memorized. He taught me e=mc2, that Troy Aiken and Emmet Smith were the two greatest footballers for the Dallas Cowboys, when and what to yell at the TV during NHL games, and so much more. The other day he randomly asked me what bird was black and orange and found in Newfoundland. I said a puffin and he said that was the final question on cash cab and that he knew I would get it right because a puffin was one of the animals in the encyclopaedia he used to read to me when I was little. I can't wait to see what he's going to teach this little one.

Dad has always shown love to us. He may not seem like the most affectionate or emotional guy and he pretends really hard not to be. But he would always chide me if I forgot to give him a hug and a kiss before leaving somewhere. He called almost every day when gone on business trips to tell us he loved us and never left home without saying I love you to each of us. I've come to understand that he showed love in a lot of unconventional ways when I was growing up like pinning us down and tickling us until our sides hurt, or chasing us after he was sweaty from a run and we were all prettied up for the dance, and every other teasing and shenanigan you can imagine. I doubt your imagination is that big though... My dad is full of charity and can recognize others in need very quickly. I can't wait for him to be a grandpa because I know this little one is going to adore him and love him as much as I do. Love you dad! Have a great day! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment